Area: 576 Acres
Length: 2 miles long
Width: 1/2 mile average width
Elevation: 1280 Feet
Depth: 18 1/2 feet average depth
Deepest at 75 feet on north end by the dam, 30 feet in the middle of the lake
Walleye are sport fisherman's favorite
#1 Fish: Pickerel - wild & plentiful
#2 Fish: Large Mouth & Small Mouth Bass - wild & plentiful
#3 Fish: Walleye - stocked annually with fingerlings
#4 Fish: Wide variety of pan fish
Two things contribute:
1. Tioughnioga Lake Association's Dye Testing
2. Fed by a trout stream which eventually leads to Oneida Lake
Downtown DeRuyter - 3 miles south
Syracuse - 35 minutes away
Binghamton - 65 minutes away
Cortland - 25 minutes away
Tioughnioga Lake is 1286 feet above the sea, higher than Lake George and nearly as high as Saranac Lake. Since the lake is filled with waters of the Tioughnioga River it becomes Tioughnioga Lake. The construction of DeRuyter Lake was to a great extent contemporaneous with the progress of the Civil War. The canal authorities found it necessary to increase the water for the long level east of Syracuse and this valley was selected as the site. In the year 1860, engineers commenced the survey for this task, which required nearly three years to complete.
The dam at the north end is about one-quarter mile in length and is seventy five feet deep at its lowest point. Its inclination is two to one on the face side and three to one on the back side. The overall width is about 375 feet.
The dam lies mostly in the town of Cazenovia, Madison County, except the west end, which is the town of Fabius, Onondaga County. The lake is two miles long with an average width of one-half mile, its greatest depth is 75 feet and its average depth is 18-1/2 feet. Covering an area of 626 acres and containing 504,468.000 cubic feet of water, the Reservoir and its structure cost the State of New York about $100,000. C.A. Beach was the engineer and Degraw and Wood were the contractors.
The first camp on the lake was a wooden frame and roof with canvas sides, built by Dr. E.N. Coon and located on the east shore. Later he built a substantial cottage, which still stands. The next permanent camp was the "Cleaner Camp" built by W.W. Ames.
While there has long been a need for an organization of cottage owners, it was not until Sunday, September 10, 1939, that a meeting was called and the lake Tioughnioga Club was formed with twenty-five charter members. Mr. Law Bales was elected to be President. The club has a large membership, and is still growing, and there has been a development of fellowship among the owners that would have not been possible before.