1860 to increase the supply of water after progress from the Civil War
took 3 years to build
About 45 year around homes on the lake
Over 300 summer cottages on the lake
Excerpt from the History of Tioughnioga
Tioughnioga Lake is 1286 feet above the
sea, higher than Lake George and nearly as high as Saranac Lake. Since the lake is filled
with waters of the Tioughnioga River it becomes Tioughnioga Lake. The construction of
DeRuyter Lake was to a great extent contemporaneous with the progress of the Civil War.
The canal authorities found it necessary to increase the water for the long level east of
Syracuse and this valley was selected as the site. In the year 1860, engineers commenced
the survey for this task, which required nearly three years to complete. The dam at the
north end is about one-quarter mile in length and is seventy five feet deep at its lowest
point. Its inclination is two to one on the face side and three to one on the back side.
The overall width is about 375 feet.
lies mostly in the town of Cazenovia, Madison County, except the west end, which is the
town of Fabius, Onondaga County. The lake is two miles long with an average width of
one-half mile, its greatest depth is 75 feet and its average depth is 18-1/2 feet.
Covering an area of 626 acres and containing 504,468.000 cubic feet of water, the
Reservoir and its structure cost the State of New York about $100,000. C.A. Beach was the
engineer and Degraw and Wood were the contractors.
The first camp on the lake was a
wooden frame and roof with canvas sides, built by Dr. E.N. Coon and located on the east
shore. Later he built a substantial cottage, which still stands. The next permanent camp
was the "Cleaner Camp" built by W.W. Ames.
While there has long been a need for
an organization of cottage owners, it was not until Sunday, September 10, 1939, that a
meeting was called and the lake Tioughnioga Club was formed with twenty-five charter
members. Mr. Law Bales was elected to be President. The club has a large membership, and
is still growing, and there has been a development of fellowship among the owners that
would have not been possible before